10/23/2014

Letter to Fridge

Hi!

You must be cold? Does it make any difference to you though that people use you for your coldness? How different it is for us when we decide to become cold for a tiny little time. Just to prove a point. But you lucky you, you are loved and lived with for that. There is a sense of preservation in you, so contrary to the essence of living. Do you thus feel special?

I sometimes think about you, how you must be missing the male touch. I mean, we women are always around you, complaining, fishing, wondering. But the man? He just comes to collect his beers and the occasional bottle of water. We even deck you up with souvenirs of our travels, they do not even consider! I would love to see you blush with his contact.

Me? I know someone or someone's house is as own as mine when I can go up to you without your owner's permission. Feel beloved, dear fridge, you are. I love the comfort of looking you up and soaking the chill when I am actually warm. You static thing, such a beauty of binaries you are. 

I do not know why I thought of writing to you today. Perhaps because there is a nip in the air, perhaps because I saw a man linger a little longer than a moment around you. Or just because I long to be you -- cold and unfeeling.

Without you we would die managing the problem of plenty. I will go back to you, fetch the besan ka laddoo which I shouldn't be having, and leave you this. Someone thinks of you. Happy Diwali. You complete my home like many others'.

Thank you,
K.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have suggested Gavin , my friend in Australia ,to read this blog ... Gavin is a collector of antique items which includes 3 fridges run with kerosene oil. He would be amused with this blog :)

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...