11/09/2014

Letter to my lost Ray-Ban

You must be in Salzburg now, soaking in the musical sunshine, or perhaps in Vienna shopping in Secession buildings, or who knows viewing the sexy Schieles in Leopold Museum. If you are, and are reading this, then hello there. How could you just slip off my head? You, who I had b(r)ought with so much careful attention and acute savings? The day I managed to get my hands, and eyes, on you, I felt nothing short of a Princess. With you I saw my first bit of Europe in Frankfurt and covered my Prague. How could you then desert me in Vienna? I put you on with aplomb, as if you were never meant to be anywhere else. And it was only in the land of Sound of Music that I realized that I don't have you. I had sang god a thousand Do-Re-Mi that morning and the Alps too could do nothing to stop me from crying.

I hope you are with someone who cares for you. Who must be the person who wears you now? For some reason I have a feeling it is a cute boy who plays the western flute and skates unmindfully. Someone who is fair and unreasonably good at his manners. Someone who enjoys the museums, and not computer games, and makes his own meals. Someone who found you, and took you up. Stay with him and set him ablaze with your panache. If you are scratched and not attended to, please forgive him.

As for me, I got another you a month back, this time gifted. It is as special, if not more. And I saw Bhutan through it. The love with which it is given is unparalleled and makes me tolerate wearing lenses. But you, lost one, you were and are different. Putting you on literally meant never to hide, and pronounced the success rate of my patience versus desire. Sometimes I wish for all things lost to have one wish to be fulfilled. That they are given wings with which they can return to their rightful owners. 
 
Or, receive and read such letters of a sense of loss. For now, know that I miss you in Calcutta. At least I can offer a bad consolation to myself saying a part of my self still resides in Europe. Just as a part of my soul lives in Bhutan. Does the cute boy see the world as I did? Do you have problems adjusting? Can you not connect? Do you have a mind of your own?

I should learn to let go...
K.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

someone needed the rayban more than u :)
and that was time for u to get a new one too !

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...