12/19/2014

Letter to Fair

Hello there!

So I wrote to your (assumed) cousin yesterday, and it felt only right that I write to you too. You little sight of plenty, hope you are well amidst your battered stalls and tattered roller coaster life. I conveyed to Circus that there is something similar between the two of you, and then I digressed that Circus had a sad smell. I think that is truly where you differ. The smell. While Circus has one of loneliness, yours is one of festivity and excited fervor. Of friendly togetherness. It is quite outstanding how you bring shared smiles and help in overcoming apparent fears. It is also quite unbelievable how you are friends with winter. All of you just seem to form a family, like the Famous Five. Complete with Timothy.

Hey there, hi again! Now that you have set the landmark for the highest of happiness, do you feel bored of the routine visits you have to pay to bring us some? Sometimes you come across as a magnificent, democratic wedding party going on, open to all. There is food, fun and friends. And then there are the imprudent rides with their toy-like safety features. But there is just this general, liberal wave of delight reflected in everyone's eyes. Like the pink of the freshly wound cotton candies.

Tell you what I most like about you? That you are fair. For it is only at your humble premises that economic disparities dissolve. Me and my jingbang have had the immense pleasure and joy to willingly pay for a ride for a child, in all probabilities severely underprivileged, who was only staring at the rides. We were happiest when we even bought her some happy-food. It is fair that each person who visits you, cherish a smile, however momentary.

As for me, you know how scared I am of those rides. Yet, I make it to you each year without fail. Not for the fish fries and pickles, no. You just make me feel so devoid of any other feeling during that time. The screams of 'Yays!' and the sound of hawkers and the noise of the rickety rides, all problems of the present disappear, fairly. The lights blind with a roar of 'this-is-how-it-should-be'. And that, my dear, is a rare, rare blessing.

Not always is fair foul, thank you.
K.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...