5/09/2015

Lollipop!

Wishes are strange things. Sometimes they come true without you wishing enough for it, while at other times, they just make you wait endlessly. I was making a plan of how to teach my daughter to better her spellings, and was wondering if letting her play with this notebook would be a good idea. I was eyeing the alphabets on the keyboard and trying to make reason of why they are not placed in alphabetical order when I chanced upon the area 'Lollipop'. The other day my daughter only managed to type this word in as she sat to write down a story. No wonder. I-O-P-L, are the foursome who make that word, and they are beautifully placed in close quarters. 

I called her and showed her my new purchase. She was not as impressed as I thought she would be. I opened her a page and asked her if she would like to Paint. She refused. "Would you like to type like Mom?"

"Ya!" And she sat, with her sleepy eyes fixed on the glowing monitor. After a couple of hits, she said, "Sunday is Mother's Day. I don't want to write. I will buy you lollipop. From where?" I was taken aback. The entirety of the statement just stunned me into a zone of happiness I never knew could exist, since the man with whom I made her. The man who loved lollipops. The man who left. She reminded me too much of him each passing moment.

I shut down the system, put her to sleep next to me, told her we would buy the lollipops from the store downstairs tomorrow and hugged her tight to smell in her innocence. As soon as I was sure of her slight snore, I turned to the mobile phone, opened the text message option, put in his number, and sent the message to him. Just one word. Lollipop!

One cannot deny the distance we have, the distance which has outgrown the sorrow. But I still think of him. When I happen to drive past his old office, standing tall, or having made a perfect cocktail. When I bath in the D&G shower gel and wear his shirts and t-shirts and walk around in the house on Saturdays. And when she has a lollipop, just as naughtily as he did. 

I spoon into my daughter and try to sleep. 
I miss him.

The phone notified an incoming message. 

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...