10/31/2015

Crash Landing

Social media is a cruel, cruel thing. In it being unflinchingly kind too, it is cruel. Lives are numbers and facts are updates. I write this because in an entire lifetime of flying regularly, I had never been as upset as I had with the last two flights to and from Chennai, in a matter of ten days. The day we were flying into Chennai, in fact, felt so bad on me that I almost refused to return by air. And then there was yesterday. Even with the panoramic Bay of Bengal and the gorgeous red skyline at landing, my palms were wet, my heartbeat was uneven and I was generally in a state of panic.

Of the many things that I tried to combat, one was that of the utter helplessness of uncertainty. Like drowning in sea, or catching fire. Or being trapped in the stratosphere with guns being pointed at you. I thought of the passengers in the ill-fated 9/11 flights, and those that crash due to technical traumas. After I got back, I decided to study all about aeroplanes, and discussed it with the twins. As luck would have it, they (much to my dismay) began confessing about their various fears regarding height and flights too. And, to speak of regularity, between the three of us, one of us most certainly flies once a month. I went to sleep studying about lifts and force and wings and engine and slept sound to a lovely 8 30 morning.

While I was spending the day with the cousins again, the news of the Russian aircraft crash broke in. The three of us found it extremely disturbing, and discussed levels of uncertainty as is present in girls over thirty and boys who aren't yet twenty four. Death is a dear thing I assume, or is it life, that we hold it so close?

We were planning a trip back to the Delhi winter this December, this morning. We travelled to Chandigarh-Shimla-Manali as well. Then detoured towards Mussourie and finally rested at Kasaul. It crash-landed. Reasons ranged from impossible cold to possible budget restraints. Reason, as the three of us exchanged later over our drinks this evening, was also the flight we had to take.

As characters of habit, we will outgrow this fear too, I am fairly certain, yet, the timing of this crash could not have been more inappropriate. I am deeply saddened thinking about the families of those departed. I hope they have flown well to the next world.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...